Adopted by the IPMS Warren

 

This Goodyear built version of the famous F4U “Corsair” WW-II fighter was flown by Naval and Marine Corps Reserve units at the Grosse Ile NAS from 1946 to 1957. The inverted gull wing allows the propeller to clear the ground yet keep the landing gear short for strength during carrier landings. This aircraft was restored by Selfridge Transient Maintenance and Naval Air Reserve personnel from 1979 to 1987.

Wingspan: 40’ 11” Engine: R-2800

Length: 33’ 8” Power: 2,450 hp

Height: 14’ 9” Speed: 445 mph

Weight: 12,039# 1st Flight: 1940